ENCORE Vineyards is proud to share that Summerland’s Evolve Cellars’ Riesling 2016 ($19) has won BC Wine of the Year at this year’s British Columbia Best of Varietal Wine Awards, presented by Okanagan Wine Festival.
A classic Riesling that is well-balanced with stone fruit, floral notes and a touch of honey, this fruit-forward and approachable Riesling 2016 stood out as the best in a vigorous competition with 571 other B.C. wines that were entered for judging.
This year’s competition saw a record number of 572 wines entered into the competition that featured 34 varietal categories. A well-respected panel of 18 judges narrowed the selection down to 141 finalists with one winner titled as the best in each category.
While Evolve Cellars’ Riesling 2016 won the overall most prestigious title in this year’s competition, other wines from Evolve Cellars and Penticton’s TIME Winery also took home gold and silver medals.
Winning results for ENCORE Vineyards:
- BC Wine of the Year- Evolve Cellars Riesling 2016 ($19)
- Riesling $19 & Under (Best in category)- Evolve Cellars Riesling 2016 ($19)
- Riesling Over $19 (Gold medal)- TIME Winery Riesling 2017 ($23)
- Sparkling (Silver medals)- Evolve Cellars Frizzante 2017 ($20) and Evolve Cellars Pink Effervesence N/V ($20)
- White Blend Over $19 (Best in category)- TIME Winery White Meritage 2017 ($25)
“With the talent in our B.C. wine industry, the quality of BC wines continue to increase. This makes us especially thrilled to have won Wine of the Year in addition to other awards for both TIME Winery and Evolve Cellars,” says Christa-Lee McWatters, marketing director at ENCORE Vineyards. “We thank the judges and our B.C. wine community for your support. Let us raise a glass to you!”
The full results for the 2018 British Columbia Best of Varietal Wine Awards are available online.