The 95th Royal Agricultural Winter Fair celebrated its eighth year showcasing the best in VQA Ontario wines in the Royal Wine Competition. Stanners Vineyard won Best in Show Overall for its 2015 Pinot Noir, which was also named Best In Show Red. The competition is run in co-operation with the Independent Wine Educators Guild (IWEG) under the direction of Chris Waters, chief judge of The Royal competition.
Wineries were able to enter a range of classes for white, rosé, red and dessert wines. There was a Best in Show winner selected for each category and an overall Best in Show prize.
The best in show winners for The 2017 Royal Agricultural Wine Competition are:
- Overall Best in Show and Best in Show Red: 2015 Stanners Vineyards Pinot Noir
- Best in Show White: 2016 Iconoclast Semillon/Sauvignon Blanc, Creekside Estate Winery
- Best in Show Rosé: 2016 Gamay Rose, Di Profio Wines
- Best in Show Sparkling: 2011 Patrick Chan Sparkling Blanc de Blancs, Flat Rock Cellars
- Best in Show Dessert: 2013 Prodigy Icewine, Niagara College Teaching Winery
“The Royal is all about local food and that includes Ontario VQA wines,” says Royal CEO Charlie Johnstone. “We appreciate the support of the wineries that entered and we invite the public to find out more about these award winners.” The Best in Show red and white wines will be served at dining venues at The Royal and featured at various events during the Fair’s 10 day run from November 2-12.
The Royal Agricultural Winter Fair is the world’s largest combined indoor agricultural and equestrian show. This year, the 95th Royal Agricultural Winter Fair runs November 3 – 12, 2017 at Exhibition Place, Toronto. For competition schedules, live webcasting, results and to purchase tickets, please visit www.royalfair.org.
The Royal is supported in part by the Province of Ontario and City of Toronto.